Immanuel.at – Forum for Discussion: Corruption Index 2005 by Transparency International





TI 2005 Corruption Perception Index

Country
rank
Country 2005 CPI
score *
Confidence
range **
Surveys used ***
1 Iceland 9,7 9.5 - 9.7 8
2 Finland 9,6 9.5 - 9.7 9
New Zealand 9,6 9.5 - 9.7 9
4 Denmark 9,5 9.3 - 9.6 10
5 Singapore 9,4 9.3 - 9.5 12
6 Sweden 9,2 9.0 - 9.3 10
7 Switzerland 9,1 8.9 - 9.2 9
8 Norway 8,9 8.5 - 9.1 9
9 Australia 8,8 8.4- 9.1 13
10 Austria 8,7 8.4 - 9.0 9
11 Netherlands 8,6 8.5 - 8.9 9
United Kingdom 8,6 8.3 - 8.8 11
13 Luxembourg 8,5 8.1 - 8.9 8
14 Canada 8,4 7.9 - 8.8 11
15 Hong Kong 8,3 7.7 - 8.7 12
16 Germany 8,2 7.9 - 8.5 10
17 USA 7,6 7.0 - 8.0 12
18 France 7,5 7.0 - 7.8 11
19 Belgium 7,4 6.9 - 7.9 9
Ireland 7,4 6.9 - 7.9 10
21 Chile 7,3 6.8 - 7.7 10
Japan 7,3 6.7 - 7.8 14
23 Spain 7,0 6.6 - 7.4 10
24 Barbados 6,9 5.7 - 7.3 3
25 Malta 6,6 5.4 - 7.7 5
26 Portugal 6,5 5.9 - 7.1 9
27 Estonia 6,4 6.0 - 7.0 11
28 Israel 6,3 5.7 - 6.9 10
Oman 6,3 5.2 - 7.3 5
30 United Arab Emirates 6,2 5.3 - 7.1 6
Slovenia 6,1 5.7 - 6.8 11
32 Botswana 5,9 5.1 - 6.7 8
Qatar 5,9 5.6 - 6.4 5
Taiwan 5,9 5.4 - 6.3 14
Uruguay 5,9 5.6 - 6.4 6
36 Bahrain 5,8 5.3 - 6.3 6
37 Cyprus 5,7 5.3 - 6.0 5
Jordan 5,7 5.1 - 6.1 10
39 Malaysia 5,1 4.6 - 5.6 14
40 Hungary 5,0 4.7 - 5.2 11
Italy 5,0 4.6 - 5.4 9
South Korea 5,0 4.6 - 5.3 12
Tunisia 4,9 4.4 - 5.6 7
44 Lithuania 4,8 4.5 - 5.1 8
45 Kuwait 4,7 4.0 - 5.2 6
46 South Africa 4,5 4.2 - 4.8 11
47 Czech Republic 4,3 3.7 - 5.1 10
Greece 4,3 3.9 - 4.7 9
Namibia 4,3 3.8 - 4.9 8
Slovakia 4,3 3.8 - 4.8 10
51 Costa Rica 4,2 3.7 - 4.7 7
El Salvador 4,2 3.5 - 4.8 6
Latvia 4,2 3.8 - 4.6 7
Mauritius 4,2 3.4 - 5.0 6
55 Bulgaria 4,0 3.4 - 4.6 8
Columbia 4,0 3.6 - 4.4 9
Fiji 4,0 3.4 - 4.6 3
Seychelles 4,0 3.5 - 4.2 3
59 Cuba 3,8 2.3 - 4.7 4
Thailand 3,8 3.5 - 4.1 13
Trinidad and Tobago 3,8 3.3 - 4.5 6
Belize 3,7 3.4 - 4.1 3
62 Brazil 3,7 3.5 - 3.9 10
Jamaica 3,6 3.4 - 3.8 6
65 Ghana 3,5 3.2 - 4.0 8
Mexico 3,5 3.3 - 3.7 10
Panama 3,5 3.1 - 4.1 7
Peru 3,5 3.1 - 3.8 7
Turkey 3,5 3.1 - 4.0 11
70 Burkina Faso 3,4 2.7 - 3.9 3
Croatia 3,4 3.2 - 3.7 7
Egypt 3,4 3.0 - 3.9 9
Lesotho 3,4 2.6 - 3.9 3
Poland 3,4 3.0 - 3.9 11
Saudi Arabia 3,4 2.7 - 4.1 5
Syria 3,4 2.8 - 4.2 5
77 Laos 3,3 2.1 - 4.4 3
78 China 3,2 2.9 - 3.5 14
Morocco 3,2 2.8 - 3.6 8
Senegal 3,2 2.8 - 3.6 6
Sri Lanka 3,2 2.7 - 3.6 7
Suriname 3,2 2.2 - 3.6 3
83 Lebanon 3,1 2.7 - 3.3 4
Rwanda 3,1 2.1 - 4.1 3
85 Dominican Republic 3,0 2.5 - 3.6 6
Mongolia 3,0 2.4 - 3.6 4
Romania 3,0 2.6 - 3.5 11
88 Armenia 2,9 2.5 - 3.2 4
Benin 2,9 2.1 - 4.0 5
Bosnia and Herzegovina 2,9 2.7 - 3.1 6
Gabon 2,9 2.1 - 3.6 4
India 2,9 2.7 - 3.1 14
Iran 2,9 2.3 - 3.3 5
Mali 2,9 2.3 - 3.6 8
Moldova 2,9 2.3 - 3.7 5
Tanzania 2,9 2.6 - 3.1 8
97 Algeria 2,8 2.5 - 3.3 7
Argentina 2,8 2.5 - 3.1 10
Madagascar 2,8 1.9 - 3.7 5
Malawi 2,8 2.3 - 3.4 7
Mozambique 2,8 2.4 - 3.1 8
Serbia and Montenegro 2,8 2.5 - 3.3 7
103 Gambia 2,7 2.3 - 3.1 7
Macedonia 2,7 2.4 - 3.2 7
Swaziland 2,7 2.0 - 3.1 3
Yemen 2,7 2.4 - 3.2 5
107 Belarus 2,6 1.9 - 3.8 5
Eritrea 2,6 1.7 - 3.5 3
Honduras 2,6 2.2 - 3.0 7
Kazakhstan 2,6 2.2 - 3.2 6
Nicaragua 2,6 2.4 - 2.8 7
Palestine 2,6 2.1 - 2.8 3
Ukraine 2,6 2.4 - 2.8 8
Vietnam 2,6 2.3 - 2.9 10
Zambia 2,6 2.3 - 2.9 7
Zimbabwe 2,6 2.1 - 3.0 7
117 Afghanistan 2,5 1.6 - 3.2 3
Bolivia 2,5 2.3 - 2.9 6
Ecuador 2,5 2.2 - 2.9 6
Guatemala 2,5 2.1 - 2.8 7
Guyana 2,5 2.0 - 2.7 3
Libya 2,5 2.0 - 3.0 4
Nepal 2,5 1.9 - 3.0 4
Philippines 2,5 2.3 - 2.8 13
Uganda 2,5 2.2 - 2.8 8
126 Albania 2,4 2.1 - 2.7 3
Niger 2,4 2.2 - 2.6 4
Russia 2,4 2.3 - 2.6 12
Sierra Leone 2,4 2.1 - 2.7 3
130 Burundi 2,3 2.1 - 2.5 3
Cambodia 2,3 1.9 - 2.5 4
Congo, Republic of 2,3 2.1 - 2.6 4
Georgia 2,3 2.0 - 2.6 6
Kyrgyzstan 2,3 2.1 - 2.5 5
Papua New Guinea 2,3 1.9 - 2.6 4
Venezuela 2,3 2.2 -2.4 10
137 Azerbaijan 2,2 1.9 - 2.5 6
Cameroon 2,2 2.0 - 2.5 6
Ethiopia 2,2 2.0 - 2.5 8
Indonesia 2,2 2.1 - 2.5 13
Iraq 2,2 1.5 - 2.9 4
Liberia 2,2 2.1 - 2.3 3
Uzbekistan 2,2 2.1 - 2.4 5
144 Congo, Democratic Republic 2,1 1.8 - 2.3 4
Kenya 2,1 1.8 - 2.4 8
Pakistan 2,1 1.7 - 2.6 7
Paraguay 2,1 1.9 - 2.3 7
Somalia 2,1 1.6 - 2.2 3
Sudan 2,1 1.9 - 2.2 5
Tajikistan 2,1 1.9 - 2.4 5
151 Angola 2,0 1.8 - 2.1 5
152 Cote d’Ivoire 1,9 1.7 - 2.1 4
Equatorial Guinea 1,9 1.6 - 2.1 3
Nigeria 1,9 1.7 - 2.0 9
155 Haiti 1,8 1.5 - 2.1 4
Myanmar 1,8 1.7 - 2.0 4
Turkmenistan 1,8 1.7 - 2.0 4
158 Bangladesh 1,7 1.4 - 2.0 7
Chad 1,7 1.3 - 2.1 6



Explanatory notes

* CPI Score relates to perceptions of the degree of corruption as seen by business people and country analysts and ranges between 10 (highly clean) and 0 (highly corrupt).

** Confidence range provides a range of possible values of the CPI score. This reflects how a country’s score may vary, depending on measurement precision. Nominally, with 5 percent probability the score is above this range and with another 5 percent it is below. However, particularly when only few sources (n) are available an unbiased estimate of the mean coverage probability is lower than the nominal value of 90%.

*** Surveys used refers to the number of surveys that assessed a country’s performance. 16 surveys and expert assessments were used and at least 3 were required for a country to be included in the CPI.




(Source: Transparency International https://www.transparency.org/)